If the thought of visiting a dentist makes you nervous, you’re not alone.
Even with this in mind, when it comes to your oral health, your dentist should be your someone you feel comfortable visiting. Frequent dental treatments and check-ups by your oral healthcare provider can help keep your gums, mouth and teeth healthy, and keep infections and dental diseases at bay.
Most people only think of going to the dentist after they’ve eaten something which has triggered pain, such as biting on something hard or eating something hot or cold. In a dental emergency you don’t want to be looking for a new dentist, rather call on one you know and trust.
So what should you keep an eye out for when you’re looking for a new dentist?
Things to consider include:
- Do you want your dentist close to work or home?
- Do they offer after-hours/emergency care?
- Is it close to public transport and have customer parking?
- What kind of services do they offer? Do they offer a wide range of services for adults and children so if required the whole family can attend?
- Is the practice accredited?
- Are the staff and the dentist welcoming and friendly?
- If going in for a consultation, did the dentist explain what needs to be done in a way you could understand?
- Do they accept your private health fund and are they reasonably priced? Your health fund will be able to advise recommended prices for certain treatments and procedures and what they will cover, on a quote you can check the item number with your health fund provider.
- Do they offer sedation? An option becoming more common for patients particularly anxious about visiting the dentist.
- Is the dentist recommended by someone you know; this may be of value in your decision making process.
You should approach finding a dentist as a long-term proposition. Seeing the same dentist over a long period of time provides you with a consistently high level of service, commonly referred to as “continuity of care”, that cannot be matched by chopping-and-changing dentists.
About Fenton Dental
Fenton Dental is the longest established practice in Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast and was established in 1981 by Dr Mike Fenton.
Fenton Dental has a hardworking team of dental professionals in a family run and owned practice, providing a warm and caring environment for all your dental needs.
At Fenton Dental we provide a wide range of dental services. Our services include general, children’s and cosmetic dentistry as well as implant dentistry, teeth whitening and Invisalign treatments. We also have emergency dental care, so if your need an emergency dentist near you give us a call!
If you’re looking for a Dentist in Mooloolaba Sunshine Coast, we would love to help, contact us today.
For more information on dental health, view our previous blog post about mouth guards.